Saturday, December 18, 2021

Zaytoon Clinton, MA

 

One of the more interesting places in the small town of Clinton, MA besides the Russian icon museum, is Zaytoon, a Lebanese restaurant. It's at 72 High Street and it is well worth a visit.


This image, from the Zaytoon website, gives a sense of the rich variety of dishes.

Each time I've gone there I've become so involved with the food that I have forgotten to take photos.  That is a very good sign. I have borrowed the image above to give a sense of what dishes are available. The entire menu is here: https://www.zaytoonclinton.com

The list of dishes is extensive and includes a good variety of the classics: kabob, schwarma and biryani.  The weekend buffet shows off a large number of the dishes and is well balanced with vegetables, meats, salads and dips. Tea and soft drinks are available but no alcoholic beverages.

I've gone with several people now and each time the food is on the table and everyone has taken a few bites a hush sets in while people explore the savory, piquant, mellow and spicy flavors. Then come the groans of pleaure. I've probably tasted a good 15 of their dishes and have not run across anything I didn't like. Grilled salmon, beef, lamb and chicken are all on offer in several preparations including soups. For those who crave kibbi, they have four different kinds and a mixed plate.  Overall the flavors are well balanced, the dishes are attractive and the surroundings are casual and very pleasant.  The staff is helpful and friendly.

I've noticed several things I haven't commonly seen and the most interesting so far are their dolmas, which have been stuffed zuchini each time I have had them, but a staff member told me that they stuff a number of different kinds of vegetables. These are such a nice break from the grape leaf dolmas [they have that kind too] that I have had them each time I have gone. I want to try all the vegetables!  Most of the attraction of the dolmas is the perfectly cooked and seasoned rice, which is an exquisite comfort food. The texture is slightly toothy so that it surpasses even the best potatoes because of the way it takes in the flavors of the vegetable juices and doesn't sink into complete texture-free mush.

Most of my companions praise the lamb dishes, which include stew and kabobs.  I have been wowed by the smokey babaganoush, hummus, tzaziki, tabouleh, lebneh and the pickles! These are just the standouts.  It's all quite good.

Check out the list of sandwiches and wraps - I haven't tasted them yet because I keep getting caught up with other parts of the menu, but I trust that they will be high quality fare based on what I have tried so far.

Tea and baklava make a perfect ending.

The surroundings include quite a lot of calligraphic and other kinds of artworks.  There are booths and tables to fit small and large groups.

LorreBob sez: check 'em out!!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Zaytoon Clinton, MA

  One of the more interesting places in the small town of Clinton, MA besides the Russian icon museum, is Zaytoon, a Lebanese restaurant. It...